Monday, January 27, 2014

Africa's version of Meadow Valley Contractors / Road Construction.

Sometimes I just want to post something that I think is interesting and I don't want to forget.  This is one of those posts, so just skip it if it does not interest you.  The roads here in Port Alfred are…well…can I just say POTHOLES!!!!    President Wheeler said that when they pave the roads here they only put down one inch of asphalt.  Thus the holes.  Now, my Father was a road builder, my brothers worked summers with him, and my son Jed is also a road builder, along Ryan who is very familiar with the road-building process.  I guess roads interest me.   We often see new roads being put down with these paving stones.  When finished, they have the look of a cobblestone road.  It is a thing of beauty to watch as they lay these brick.  They prep the surface and then form a line of workers and throw these pavers down the line and set them in place.  There is a rhythm to it.  I wish someone set music to it.  It really is beautiful to watch.  And it is beautiful when it is completed and lovely to drive on!



















Preping the road using wheelbarrows, rakes, shovels and sweat…












The Paving Bricks all ready to go...


THE PAVERS….


No comments:

Post a Comment