This was one of those "moments" I never want to forget. A moment where the Holy Ghost was present and performed the great roll of teacher. If you are reading this and you are a member of the LDS church you are familiar with the new methods of teaching that is being implemented in our curriculum. The fruits of that method was evident in Relief Society yesterday.
From left to right standing: Monica Vulindlu, Cynthia Hola, Eliza Ncibi-Nobebe, Ruth Cockbain, Mary Van Rensburg, Patience Mgadi, Priscella Tunye
Nomsa Nteyi (seated at the table) is the RS President and she gave the lesson from the Joseph Fielding Smith manual #11, Honoring the Priesthood. Please keep in mind that these members are new to the church with the exception of Sister Cockbain in the middle. Also, because of the traditions of their father's and the language barrier they often do not open up and share their thoughts and their feelings in class. With Xhosa being their first language they sometimes have a hard time understanding what is being taught in English.
Now, back to "the moment". As part of the lesson, Sister Nteyi asked one of the sisters to read this quote from the lesson; "We know Joseph Smith is a prophet; that the Father and the Son appeared to him in the spring of 1820 to usher in this final gospel dispensation; that he translated the Book of Mormon by the gift and power of God; that he received keys and authority from angels sent for this very purpose; and that the Lord revealed to him the doctrines of salvation."
The sister that read this, was completely overcome by the spirit. The tears were flowing as she added her testimony and bore witness that she knew this event was real. Sister Nteyi, stopped the lesson. She said, "I think we must stop and each bear witness to what has been said." One by one each of these dear sweet sisters, hesitating at first, bore solemn testimony stating:
- I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.
- His life was like the life of the Savior. He gave his life for the truth that we may have it.
- I know that the true gospel has been restored to the earth.
- I know that we have living prophets today.
- I know that God lives and that he appeared with his Son to Joseph Smith.
- He was only a boy. There is no other way than by God's power that he could have accomplished what he did.
- I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God.
- We are so blessed to have the gospel in our lives.
I add my testimony to theirs and acknowledge to all that the church in South Africa is taking root. It will grow at a steady pace and fill this continent. The Holy Ghost is and ever will be the ultimate true teacher.